Sunday, April 30, 2006

Nettles.

I just blogged, sitting in the kitchen, listening to the radio. The Swedish king is 60 years old today. He has talked, others talk. I was in Stockholm the day before yesterday and walked in The Old Town with Ylva, as we visited her mosaic exhibition. When we walked from the gallery we walked to see the Castle. We stood for some time and just looked, though not much happened that day, at least on the outside. Lots of tourists stood there looking with us, most of them Japanese.
But what I want to write about is nettles- I wrote about nettles in Swedish, and as I wanted to listen to the celebrations I thaught I should tell my English-speaking friends of my nettles.
I have to many of them in my garden! There should not be any nettles at all, but there are, and the best you can do with eatable weeds is of course to eat them. They are excellent for household economy and health.
There are many ways to cook nettle-soup, and also there are many ways to cook other nettle dishes. You may for example wok them. I cooked soup this way today:
I had mittens on and cut the young nettles with scissors in a big bowl.I also took a few young mint stems with leaves. The nettles grow among the mint, and tend to grow even better. I rather grow mint, but I have enough, and find it interesting to find new ways to use it. I thaught it might add a special taste to the soup. I did not use it that way before, mostly I just make tea of the mint.
When I had enough many nettles, that is around one litre, I rinsed them very carefully. I poured water in the bowl and changed water several times. I did not waste the water, I watered one of my apple trees. I put the netteles in a pot and filled water in it just above the nettles. I added some powdered red paprika, a little of powdered vegetable bouillon and seven peeled potatoes cut in pieces. I boiled the soup until the potatoes were soft. I mixed the soup with a blender (blended it in a mixer?).
I ate the soup in a big cup with tinned corn. I also had bread, made of buckwheat. Some butter was enough on the bread. It was delicious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home